He was initially a law student, and in 1923 he started the College of Fine Arts, where István Bosznay and János Vaszary were his masters. He graduated from the College in 1926, then attended the College of Applied Arts as a student of Gyula Kaesz between 1929 and 1931. He was on study trips to Paris and Amsterdam, on the latter trip he stayed with the architect Sándor Bodon. At the end of the twenties, he experimented with spatial constructions and gave up painting for a while. He worked as an interior designer at Farkas Molnár. With the encouragement of his wife, sculptor Ibolya Lossonczy, he picked up a brush again in 1939. It was then that his twin triangles, which later became characteristic, appeared.
In 1934, he became a member of the Group of Socialist Artists. Between 1945 and 1946, he was a member of the European School, then he joined the Abstract Artists Group of non-figurative artists who broke away from the school until 1948. From 1957 to 1968, he taught structural engineering at MÜM No. 18 vocational training institute. He maintained contact with the neo-avant-garde painters, but did not participate more closely in their activities. From the seventies, expressionist and surrealist influences intensified in his art.
In 1985, he received the Merited Artist Award. In 1992, he was a founding member of the Széchenyi Academy of Literature and Arts. In 1994, he was awarded the Kossuth Prize. He worked actively even in his old age, leaving behind an extremely rich oeuvre.